Bulletproof Radio Podcast: https://youtu.be/5VEjArG5RG8
Dr. Cate Shanahan, co-author of Deep Nutrition with her husband, Luke Shanahan, is nutrition coach to the L.A. Lakers.
Dr Cate explains why vegetable oil is so terrible for your health, and the many benefits of a diet high in healthy fats (both saturated and unsaturated).
Things I learned:
- How long did it take till her own brain “turned on” again after beginning a healthy-fat diet? (Hint: six months.)
- Instead of constructing a “diet” why not just eliminate any foods not eaten 200 years ago (or 1,000 years ago!)
- The four elements of all traditional diets throughout the world they surveyed are: Fresh seasonal food; meat on the bone; fermented/sprouted foods; organ meats. Yum right?!! Bring on the monkey eyeballs.
- Animals consume a 1:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids. Average American diet is 40:1 ratio. Most omega-6s in the American diet come from soil oil and canola oil, which together account for between 30–60% of calories.
- Omega-6s are chemically unstable, and they promote the instability of our own body’s cell membranes via a free-radical cascade. !!? Wow, sounds horrible.
- When our skin is built with low-quality fats, it is flimsier and has a dimpled appearance known as cellulite.
- If your skin has more bad oils incorporated it, you are way more prone to sunburn.